Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 18 year old cat has stopped eating. He was fine till

Hi - my 18 year old cat has stopped eating. He was fine till i went away for two weeks in mid-January... used to sleep in my arms and wake me regularly at 4:00-5:00 for breakfast. Since i've been back, though, although he still sleeps with us on the bed, it's more on my wife's side and he doesn't wake us at all anymore. Any food we do give him, he vomits out about 10 minutes later, and over the last few days he's refused even his favourite titbits.
I took him to the local vet today and we did blood tests for kidney and other such problems and for thyroid, but all of these read out as normal... I'm having his tummy x-rayed tomorrow in case there's a tumour, but i get the feeling ('in me water') that he might just be cross with me or with something in the situation...
Problem is: he really ISN'T eating, and it's going on several days now.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am so sad to hear you are going through this with your cat. Sounds like you are doing a great job offering a variety of foods. And, that your veterinarian is on the right path of doing some general screening to look for our common causes of issues. A radiographs series (X-rays) is indicated as the next step as a cancer screening since this would be high on our list. Sometimes we may see some level of anemia on regular lab work that might clue us in to be more suspicious of this, sometimes not.What can you do now at home? If not already tried (or recommended) you can try alleviating nausea. Over-the-counter you can safely give Pepcid AC. If he was my patient I would recommend give one-half of the 10-mg tab every 24 hours. This alleviates sour stomach and a good level of nausea in cats.If nothing is seen on his X-rays tomorrow, then you need to discuss using an appetite stimulant with your vet (e.g., mirtazepine or cyproheptadine) to see if you can get him going. And, get some of the prescription recovery diet (e.g., Hill's a/d or Royal Canin Recovery), which are high in calories and can be very tempting to a cat who isn't eating well. If he is vomiting regularly, then he also needs an antivomiting medication such as metoclopramide or cerenia, both are prescription.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.