Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

One of our cats has liver cancer. Our vet opened her up 17

One of our cats has liver cancer. Our vet opened her up 17 weeks ago for a biopsy. He got the biopsy but didn't send it off because he said there was no use, that her liver was virtually 100 percent cancerous; he didn't think she would live a week. Well, she has lived 17. Today we noticed some jaundice; does that mean death is imminent? I read about destolit, what does that do? I've had her on milk thistle, is that good?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there anything else we could do for her? Thanks
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again So sorry to hear about your cat, I have dealt with many such cases over the years, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Jaundice : Unfortunately advanced liver cancer is not uncommon in older cats and where it is as your vet described then it will almost always be progressive to the point where it causes death. { Sorry to be so blunt } However as you now know it is hard to predict just how long such cats can go on, but if you are now seeing jaundice then this would usually mean that the liver cancer is progressing and that death would not be too far off. But there is no way of predicting just how much time is left, but it all does sound very serious indeed ... 2. Destolit : I doubt if this drug would be of much use in your poor cat since it's primary use is to treat cholangitis or cholangiohepatitis and it's function is to help the flow of bile where the bile duct is not physically obstructed as it could well be in the case of liver cancer. Even where it is indicated it often has to be given for many weeks or months. So not much use for your poor cat I am afraid ... 3. Milk thistle : Milk thistle is thought to promote liver function and it is a herbal product, it will not do any harm or make things worse, it is commonly used where cats are recovering from a hepatitis or a poisoning incident but as far as I am aware no double blind trials have been carried out to prove how effective it is. 4. " Is there anything else we could do for her? " : Sadly no, with advanced liver cancer the disease will be progressive whatever you do. The best plan is just to keep your cat as reassured and comfortable as possible and sit things out until her quality of life becomes too bad ....I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }