Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our cat is 15 years old & blind.. But he is off his food &

Customer Question

Our cat is 15 years old & blind.. But he is off his food & wont drink either... He is very quiet & clearly wants to be alone... Also he is smelling awful
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions to see if I can better assess your situation.Does he have any vomiting or diarrhea?When was the last time he ate and drank anything?What color are his gums?Is there a yellowish tint to the gums, eyes or skin?If you press into his abdomen from both sides at the same time, is he painful or uncomfortable?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No sickness or diarrhoea ... Been nearly 48 hours since food or drink...gums are a light pink colour & pressing his tummy doesn't seem to bother him
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the information. Anytime a cat goes anorexic for more than 2 days, there is always a major cause for concern. If he is not drinking, then dehydration will cause more problems quicker than starvation will. If they go more than 3 days without eating, though, cats are prone to a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis. That can often be worse than the inciting cause of the anorexia. I am concerned that the bad odor you are smelling is coming from the mouth. If that is the case, it can be anything from rotted teeth and inflamed gums, stomatitis (inflammatory condition in the mouth), an infected sore or tumor, a foreign body obstruction or sores in the esophagus and stomach. There could be many potential causes of the not eating and hiding in cats, and they can range anywhere from cancer to liver problems, kidney problems, pancreatitis, a foreign body obstruction, long standing diabetes, dietary indiscretion, oral problems, toxin exposure and fecal impaction. Cats are very good at hiding illnesses, so when you see these symptoms, they are usually more advanced than we think. Since it is going on 2 days, I would highly recommend that you get Smartie in to see your vet today to get an exam and full work up. They are most likely going to recommend fluid therapy for dehydration and other supportive care to get him to start eating again. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He wants to be alone under a bush in the garden
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible for you to get him out and get him to the vet? As long as he is feeling bad, he will most likely continue to hide there. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.