Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

One of my cats has not got the use of her back legs today.

Customer Question

One of my cats has not got the use of her back legs today. She's tried dragging herself over to us.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did she have problems with her back legs prior to this? 2- Is she strictly indoors? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Is she being vocal? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. She runs up and down the stairs really fast-until now that is. She was a real outdoors cat until she sustained head and mouth injuries a few years ago when hit by a car. Since then she has stayed inside approx. 90% of the time. She recovered very well from the accident.
The only other things she gets are runny noses and sometimes cystitis. She has an antibiotic injection for these complaints.
She is a very fussy cat, wanting her head and face rubbed and her belly. She purrs very loudly.
She's still doing this, but without moving her back legs. She became a little anxious a few minutes ago when we tried to move her a little on the bed where she was-she sleeps on my parents and on their bed! She managed to jump/tumble off the bed but then couldn't move very much. She was dragging her back legs behind her.
Friend, when there is loss of the motor function to the hind limb in a cat this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A Saddle Thrombus, this is when there is a blood clot in a major artery stopping the blood from getting to the back legs. Compression of the spinal cord as a result of a bulging disc. Fractures of the hip or limb, etc. to name a few causes. In this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home, strongly recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. The longer she goes untreated for any of the above conditions the less likely she will recover. A saddle thrombus can also be life threatening as the patient often as an underlying heart disease. Again, strongly recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter