Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat has licked all the fur from her belly, back legs and

My cat has licked all the fur from her belly, back legs and all over her rear up her tail slightly. I have front lined her. Got a plug in calmer and a spot on calmer. She is really bad at night. You can hear her chewing herself . She looks more like an uncared for moggy than my beautiful pet . What could this be please?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This condition could be a number of disease processes listed below:AllergicParasitesInfectionHormonalStress Induced Obsessive/CompulsiveFor the allergic, this will respond to Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This is the infant liquid form at the pharmacy given with a dropper. If there is no response to this, have your vet examine your cat to determine if there are parasites and/or infections that would require prescription medications. If you cat is sterilized, this could be due to the lack of hormones and your vet has treatments for this. This is one of the most common causes for this condition that Poppet is suffering from.The last, stress induced OCD, may respond to Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that cats as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.This can be purchased at the pet store.If this is not enough, your vet will have medications to help decrease anxiety and stop this skin condition. I know you have already tried the plug in but medication may be required since this is not working for Poppet. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Poppet feels better soon! Have a wonderful day!