Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our 16 yr old cat is suspected to have Felipe calicivirus and

Our 16 yr old cat is suspected to have Felipe calicivirus and he is on antibiotic ronaxan 20 Mg Writing to you from Denmark. He has stopped taking water or food. Have Tried feeding with syringe. He is not at all coperative! What do we do? He has sores in the mouth. Please advice
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that Oliver has painful mouth ulcers secondary to a feline Calicivirus infection. No wonder he doesn't want to eat. I understand that he had pain medication the previous two days but he should continue to receive pain management as long as these ulcers are present, or he is unlikely to eat. He should also be receiving fluids as he is likely to become dehydrated because he cannot eat and drink normally now, and is losing fluids with open ulcers in his mouth.I am glad to see that he is on an antibiotic, as secondary bacterial infections commonly make things worse. Ronaxan (generic name doxycycline) can cause gastrointestinal irritation and nausea however, and if he doesn't drink and eat after taking it this antibiotic can cause esophageal burns and secondary strictures. I am very worried about your fellow.It may be very beneficial to do these things:1) Place a temporary nasogastric feeding tube to bypass his painful mouth and allow force feeding a slurry. This would also allow you to medicate him without a struggle as you can put it down the feeding tube and then flush the tube. The beauty of this feeding tube is that he can eat normally if he chooses to do so, and it keeps his gastrointestinal system working.2) Use pain medication consistently. Buprenex (buprenorphine) is a pain medication in the opiod family that even most older cats tolerate well. It should not be swallowed. It is a liquid that is squirted/directed into his mouth and is absorbed across his gums. 3) You can use an antibacterial oral rinse with chlorhexidene to soothe the sores and decrease the odds of secondary bacterial infections. 4) Your veterinarian can teach you how to give fluids subcutaneously (under the skin) to keep him hydrated. Best of luck with your fellow. I know he is feeling miserable, but doing those things should improve his comfort level and give him the support he needs to get better.Please let me know if you have any further questions.