Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My fiances cat has had 1ml of calpol at 18:30 he is now sleeping

Customer Question

My fiances cat has had 1ml of calpol at 18:30 he is now sleeping but no signs or symptoms of toxicity
What should i do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, How long ago did the cat get the Calpol? Signs of toxicity may not show up for a day or so. How much does the cat weigh? That way I can tell you how high dose he got, and whether you need to worry. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Good news, although the active ingredient is very toxic to cats at any dose, we usually see problems when cats get more than 40 milligrams. If your Calpol was 120 mg per teaspoon her cat only got 24 mg of paracetamol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cat had 1ml at 18:30 (3 hours ago) is just tired no other symptoms.Im not fully sure on the proper weight of the cat he is 4 years old and slim
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you want to be safe, you could start him on acetylcysteine (mucomyst) the antidote for paracetamol. If he got it 3 hours ago, it is too late to get him to vomit. It looks like in an average sized cat we would be worried about a dose of 40 mg, and he only got 24. The signs you would see are swelling of his face, and pale gums, and eventually difficulty breathing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we get the antidote?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was panting slightly in his sleep but not struggling to breath. He has eaten before and after he had the calpol
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You would have to get it from a veterinarian or online. I am not sure whether you need a prescription or not in the UK ( I am in the US) but it is not easy to find. Most veterinarians will have it, just for this purpose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the panting in his sleep be anything to b alarmed about?His nose is moist as normal
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Probably not, if his gums look a normal pink color.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the difference if he had more calpol? We are both pretty sure it was 1ml though
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the dose in an average sized cat where we recommend treatment (IV fluids, blood test monitoring, Mucomyst) is 40 mg, which would be a little under 2cc. The more he got, the greater the risk. 1 cc (24 mg) is just inside a "safe" dose, although there is no safe dose of paracetamol in cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for your time and support
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Thank you for the great rating. Please let me know how he is doing.