How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 16733
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

Last week my cat was in pain on the left side of his mouth,

Customer Question

Last week my cat was in pain on the left side of his mouth, not eating, drinking and yowling. Took him to vets who found assess removed the tooth and sent him home with antibiotics he's been fine till this evening when all the symptoms have returned. Am taking him to vets in morning but he's in pain again. Don't understand since tooth has now Beeb removed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow is having trouble at the site of his tooth extraction and the extraction site may not be healing, as he is showing symptoms again.My concern would be that there is a piece of the root that has broken off and remains in the socket, or there is an infection at the extraction site, or even more concerning there may be a tumor in his jaw that led to his tooth being compromised and is causing his current symptoms that indicate discomfort.Were any dental radiographs taken at the time of extraction to look for infection and/or a remaining root piece or mass/tumor in his jaw?If any of those are present the extraction site won't heal, and he will remain uncomfortable.I understand that you don't want to start this process over, but if there is still an infection or a piece of root still present I would be concerned that he may develop an oronasal fistula (open connection between the nose and mouth) which could lead to an infection in his nose/sinuses or in his jawbone which will be much more difficult to resolve. And if there is a tumor that should be dealt with.At this point to have the best chance of success you might ask to be referred to a veterinary dentist. They have the experience and expertise to get this resolved in the quickest and best manner. Here is a link to help you find one in your area:http://www.avdc-dms.org/dms/list/diplomates-map.cfm Best of luck to you and your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.