Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

3 yr old male cat at vets yesterday and diagnosed with inner

3 yr old male cat at vets yesterday and diagnosed with inner ear infection. He was given injection of antibiotics and I wAs given Loxicom away with me to put into his food. Since coming back from vets he's been very quiet, hiding in quiet places, not eating or drinking. He has walked about a bit and wants out but can't let him out as he is so dizzy and can hardly walk. Just worrying he is getting dehydrated and if he's not eating cannot get Loxicom into him as can't give it to him on empty stomach.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he been showing these signs post-visit?What antibiotic was used?Did they put anything treatment-wise into the ear ?Had he been dizzy before the visit?Any vomiting, gagging, lip licking or gulping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was at vets yesterday at 11 am which was an emergency appt as when he woke up yesterday he was all dizzy and could hardly walk. I knew it was his ear as he has had problems with that ear before.
Don't know what antibiotic was used but vet said it would do him 2 weeks.
Vet looked in his ear with a long tube camera thing and said drops are no good for him now as infection gone inwards.
He was dizzy before visit , that's what has prompted me to take him to vets.
This morning I heard him retching but nothing came up as nothing in his stomach
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,First, I do share your concern for your lad’s current signs. Especially if he cannot drink since as you noted we do have a dehydration risk. Furthermore, self-starvation in cats is a worry too since it can make them weak but also lead to additional health issues (ie fatty liver syndrome). So, we need to be proactive and get Lenny eating and drinking for as soon as possible.Now if the antibiotic lasts 2 weeks, this would be Convenia. It is very good for infections but it can cause nausea and GI upset in sensitive cats. So, this may be why we have had retching and he is refusing to eat and drink. Though it could also be secondary to the dizziness but we'd have expected these signs before his vet visit.With this all in mind, I would note that it'd be ideal to ring his vet just now to update them on this situation. Vets in our country tend to have out of hours services when they are closed, so they likely can be reached about this. They may want you to pop him in for an injectable anti-nausea treatment +/- appetite stimulant. Or they could just dispense an oral anti-nausea option so that we can sooth his stomach at home. And that is ideal since our main OTC options are a bit too concentrated for cats. Though if we cannot get ahold of them we could give OTC calcium carbonate (60mg every 12 hours) but I suspect he will need a stronger option here.Though if he does settle with that or their treatment, we will want to tempt him to eat for us. Favorites are allowed or you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut.Though if he cannot be tempted, then we’d want to consider syringe feeding at this point. To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). And since he is not vomiting, we can potentially syringe fluids if need be. Just to note, his daily intake needs to be ~48ml per kilogram of his weight. Overall, this sounds like his withdrawal signs and GI upset are secondary to the antibiotic. Therefore, we'd want to soothe his stomach with anti-nausea treatment from his vet or a small dose of calcium carbonate. Otherwise, you are right to hold off on the Loxicom if he isn't eating (since it could make his nausea worse). Hopefully, once we settle his stomach, we can get him eating and onto that medication. But if he doesn't respond, then we may need a strong anti-nausea treatment option from his vet and appetite stimulants to counter that affect of the antibiotic while it hopefully sorts out that ear infection.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )