Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 20 year old cat has been diagnosed with overactive thyroid

Customer Question

My 20 year old cat has been diagnosed with overactive thyroid and has been given tablets to take which living alone I'm finding impossible to get her to take. I have heard of transdermal gel which seems easier to give and has good results against the tablets. What would you recommend please
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, we do find transdermal gel a good alternative tablets. So, this would be a good consideration here. Though I do have to make you aware that it is something you would need your vet to special import for her. Its not very complicated to do, but it would mean a bit more paperwork. But overall a great option if you are struggling with tablets.Otherwise, I would just briefly note that there are some other treatment options that may be worth consideration for your wee lass. To start, the one that would likely be the best option here would be management with a diet called Hills Y/D. You can read more about that HERE (it does come in wet and dry). Otherwise, surgical removal of the gland or radioactive iodine could be other options. Still again, as long as you are up to a bit of paperwork with your vet, the transdermal gel would likely be ideal here.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )