Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I found a cat about a year ago so I don't have any medical

Customer Question

Hi, I found a cat about a year ago so I don't have any medical history. She must have been approx. 9 months and I have seen in at least 4 different occasions she has had either a swollen leg or a side of the head/neck. Since I live in an area where spiders are easily seen and she did not seem bothered at all or in pain, I assumed she had been bitten by one as she tends to chase anything that moves (and I have indeed seen her trying to hunt one often...). However, when I woke up today the swelling was slightly different as it was localised in the proximal side of the left limb and closer to the thorax so it looked more like a proper edema. I would welcome professional opinions as you might have encountered similar cases in the past.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
The most common cause - by far - of such swellings is the cellulitis (inflammation of tissue) and abscessation following a cat bite wound. Flying insect and spider bites are certainly a concern, however, especially if the swellings have never needed veterinary attention as would be expected following a cat bite. A systemic antibiotic and surgical lancing, flushing, and debridement of bite wound abscesses is all too common in our cats with exposure to other cats.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is definitely not cellulitis/ abscess due to bite as she is an indoor cat and does not fight with her companion.
Thanks,
Thank you for the additional information. Envenomation, then, makes more sense. Please continue our conversation if you wish.