Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat has mucus coming from her nose and sounds very ch

Customer Question

My cat has mucus coming from her nose and sounds very chesty
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Saopy's upper respiratory situation. How long has she had this mucus from her nose? Is she sneezing? Is she indoors only? Is she still eating and drinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 5 days she is still eating and drinking she's not sneezing
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That is good that she's still eating and drinking. Sometimes when they have mucous / discharge from the nares, it can make them not have a good appetite. With a cat having mucous from their nostrils and sounding chesty, it would be very suspect that she could be fighting off a feline upper respiratory infection. They can pick these up from the environment. Sometimes people coming in and out of the house will bring in the virus from another location / cat. For the most part, upper respiratory infections are not that bad in that an otherwise healthy cat with a good immune system will typically fight it off with time. At home, the best an owner can do there is to keep fresh food and water available and to keep the nares free of debris from building up. Taking her into the bathroom when a shower is going can help as the warm, moist air can help to get some of the discharge out.