Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Dr Deb, my kitten found last week, it has eye problem. After give it medicine

HI Dr Deb, my kitten found last week, it has eye problem. After give it medicine for eye and recover.
It lose the voice and snoring.
It also do not have mood to play, lay down everyday
May you please help? My place do not have vet
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on his signs, it does sound like his eye issue may have been part of an upper respiratory tract infection (aka cat flu). When cats have flu it can be caused by a number infectious agents (some bacterial, some viral), though all his signs do sound suspicious of herpes virus.Now we do need to keep an eye on the discharge he has. If we were to see snotty discharge at any stage, this would be a sign of bacteria and antibiotics from a local vet would be indicated (even if we did need to travel to see them). Otherwise, there are some supportive care measures that you can start to ease this for your wee one. First, if he sounds congested at all you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting his nasal passage. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but since cats don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you can make a ‘steam tent’ with him in his carrier, the nebulizer next to it, and a bed sheet over both.Otherwise, we need to keep an eye on his appetite. This is because congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, any loss of normal of appetite and we need to start tempting him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it. If he doesn't eat, we may need to think about syringe feeding to help support his immune system. And if we think his throat is sore, plain honey can be given as a blood sugar boost but also to soothe the throatAs well, since herpes is a concern with these signs, I would note that you will want to consider supplementing him with L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter as a gel or powder at most pet stores, vets, and even online. An average cat dose is 500mg a day and this can be mixed into food to dose. Overall, the signs you have reported do raise concerns of an upper respiratory tract infection potentially caused by the herpes virus. Therefore, supportive care is key here. Though if we see any snotty discharges, he will need antibiotics +/- cat safe anti-inflammatories (to reduce the voice/throat signs) to help settle this quicker for him. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear. I am glad I could give you a plan of action to help your wee one.Best wishes to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Dr B,
My kitten like to eat new food we give him canned friskies with adult friskies. Before it only eat adult friskiesBut I bit worried because it don't have stamina.
This noon it walk out home and sleep beside the road, and it always sleep on the way where it go.
Till now it still have no voice and a little cough.
May I give him any medicine? Because I am not able to bring him to vet, need a lot of procedures to go another island bring a kitten.Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,First, he will be tired and weak if his body is fighting an infection. So, we'd hope that would improve as you support him and keep him eating. In regards ***** ***** a kitten food would be ideal but if he will only eat an adult one then we do need to let him do so. That said, we can use a vitamin, Nutrical paste, or even mix in some kitten food to help him meet his nutritional needs here.Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** your situation is tricky. If there are a lot of restrictions on movement of pets among the islands; consider ringing the nearest vet to see if they can help you and possibly send antibiotics for you. Otherwise, if you can obtain antibiotics (ie Amoxicillin) over the counter in your country, then that could be an option as well. That said, as your kitten's signs sound viral, the L-lysine I noted would be a medication to use here.Take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.