Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Every couple of months he is in pain , vomiting , does not

Customer Question

Every couple of months he is in pain , vomiting , does not use litter , seems to have abdominal pain . he stays very quiet . This lasts 2 days and then is getting better . He is 1.5 years old . He is a Scottish strait living in Cyprus .
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Simba. To get the best picture here, do you feel that he is normal in between these vomiting episodes that are happening? How often are these happening again - every 1-2 months, every 2-3 months? Is he having weight loss? Is he indoors only?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is indoors and on the house balcony . This is happening every 1-2 months . He eats normally when no sick and does not have weight loss
That is good that this little guy is eating normally when not sick and that he's not having weight loss! In a situation like this where an indoor cat will with that infrequency have vomiting episodes, I'm always curious that they may be eating something (grass, new food, new treat, people food, etc..) that is the source of the infrequent vomiting. Some cats can have more sensitive stomachs and if they eat something that just doesn't agree with them, they will have very infrequent bouts of vomiting. Could it be his regular diet? That is possible too. The only way to know if it is that is to slowly over a week switch him to a new diet to see if the clinical signs improve. With this happening every 1-2 months, a lot of owners will wait to make major changes until it possibly gets more frequent. Sometimes some cats can have random vomits due to fur balls - they don't always have to vomit up fur during these events. Some can vomit due to stressors in the environment.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What about the pain ? There are no hair in his stools
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has no access to grass or any material other than his food which I changed 4 times by now but still the same problem persist
The pain could be cramping of the intestinal tract / stomach due to what ever is upsetting it. When a cat is getting nauseate / ready to vomit, they can act quiet and withdrawn as their stomach is more than likely churning and uncomfortable. If the pain / vomiting was to last longer, then could there be some inflammation of the pancreas due to pancreatitis? Some material in there that wasn't passing well? Then these would be higher of a consideration. Hair balls are less likely in the shorter hair cats. I always recommend a good brushing every couple weeks to take this to a minimal possibility. Could he be chewing on a house plant? Do you feel that the vomiting happens close to the times of the diet changes? Some cats will have vomiting episodes when diets are changed as they are getting used to them.