Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has eaten the backbone of a smoked fish

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago?What type of fish was it?How much bone did he have? Do you think he chewed it to bits or swallowed it whole?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
During last night. Arbroath Smokie (smoked fish ). Probably chewed. No symptoms yet. Ate full pouch of cat food.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,First, since they are quite a decent sized fish, so hopefully Charlie took his time and chewed it up. Now considering when he had it and his lack of symptoms; our approach at this stage would be symptomatic to encourage this to pass without issue.To do so, we will want to offer small meals a few times daily. We can use a bland diet (ie boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) but if he is tolerating his wet food then that is fine to keep him on. In either case, we'd want to adding some fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of Benefibre) to his meals. The fiber in the these will help push the boney material through the GI. As well, we can add cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to these meals to help it slip through and reduce the blockage risk.While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. That said, its positive that he is comfortable so far and hopefully with supportive care we won't see this cause Charlie any bother. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that he has either digested or passed the material without bother. Of course, any of those warning signs and we'd want him seen for an xray to see where the bones are and whether he can pass them on his own. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )