Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I took my cat to the vet this morning- his tail had an

Customer Question

Hi, I took my cat to the vet this morning- his tail had an infection. The doctor gave him an injection (I believe it was Loxicum) and cleaned his wound. We thought we had some Loxicum at home- doctor told us he needs to have it for the next 3 days. We can't find the medication now and as tomorrow is Sunday- it's all shut! My question is, as he has had 1 dose today, how important is it he gets one tomorrow? Or is it ok for us to wait until Monday morning to get new Loxicum?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about Jinx having a wound on his tail that was infected.Loxicom (generic name Meloxicam) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory used for pain control in cats. If he had an injection today he would start oral medication tomorrow, but if he needs to skip tomorrow's dose because you don't have it that isn't critical in helping him heal, although he may be more uncomfortable then he would be if he had it.He should be on an antibiotic though, or the infection will continue to spread. Perhaps your veterinarian gave a long acting antibiotic injection? Can you see another injection given on your receipt? If so what is the name of the medication?If he misses one day of antibiotic that isn't the end of the world, but essentially he will be starting antibiotic treatment all over beginning Monday, so he may take a bit longer to heal.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, we were not given any antibiotics- just told to give him loxicum and try to clean his wound daily with a gel. The vet used the same one to clean his wind today and just put it in a small bottle and gave it to me. So I think the injection might have been a long lasting antibiotic as you mentioned- as I haven't been given anything else. Unfortunately I'm not sure what injection it was as it's not on the reciept. How should I make him more comfortable for now? He has a cone on round his head and can barely balance himself.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Poor fellow. He will need to learn to balance the cone and a sore tail. That will just take practice. I would recommend that you confine him in a small room, perhaps a small bathroom, for several days as he gets the hang of it.Unfortunately because cats are extremely sensitive to pain medications in general and especially those we take, there really isn't anything that he can be given now, especially if we aren't sure he didn't receive pain medication at his appointment.Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) and ibuprofen are both highly toxic for cats. I would try ice packs on the area, keeping it clean as directed, and then calling your veterinarian for pain medication on Monday.