Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat has grey tissue/membrane in the corner of both eyes. what

my cat has grey tissue/membrane in the corner of both eyes.
what is the cause and what should be done to correct the problem?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veteriarian and will do my best to help. Those are the third eyelids you are seeing. The cause may be an eye problem; if her eyes are irritated from an infection or allergy or inflammation you might see the third eyelids partially cover her eyes. However, the cause may not be the eyes at all. Cat will do this if they have intestinal discomfort, or internal parasites. I would check her eyes (I know, not easy to do when they are partially covered by the third eyelids) to see if the whites of the eye appear red or bloodshot, or if the conjunctiva (tissue under the eyelids) appear swollen at all. She might need eye drops with antibioitics or anti inflammatory medication if it is an eye problem. Most of these medications are by prescription. Terramycin is one eye ointment you can get without a prescription. I am in the US but it appears you can get it in the UK same as here, without a prescription. If her eye appear normal, and there is no vomiting and diarrhea, worming her for tapeworms with praziquantel may help. Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the good rating. Let me know if I can help with anything else.