Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has had first dose of ronaxan this morning respiratory

My cat has had first dose of ronaxan this morning respiratory tract infection, suspected chlamydophilia felis or F. Herpes Virus. She has been very sick twice since taking medication. Is this a possible side effect, please.
Maggie Schofield
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and throat irritation are all signs we can see with Ronaxan/Doxycycline. So, this is likely the culprit for Molly's current signs.In regards ***** ***** situation, we may need to give her stomach a 24 hour break to settle before trying her on this again. Otherwise, if it is making her severely nauseous, then we'd want to ring her vet and update them on this complication. They can dispense anti-nausea medication for you to use before giving the Ronaxan. Or they can consider using an alternative antibiotic (ie Amoxicillin with Clavulanate --though often we need to use a longer course of treatment with this one).Alternatively, since you noted a suspected case and not a confirmed one, you could speak to them about actually testing for the Chlamydophila (the agent that this drug treats for). This is just tested for using a conjunctival/eye swab and that way we'd know if she actually had this and needed the Ronaxan. And since this treatment tends to need to be given for 4-6 weeks, that would be ideal if she has been so sensitive to the medication thus far.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** tested for the root cause is the way forward so that we know what we are dealing with.