Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My female cat is 10. She has had blood tests to determine if

My female cat is 10. She has had blood tests to determine if she has pancreatitis and the vet is 80% sure she has. She is being treated with anti biotics and sickness drugs and appetite inducers and is so far responding well as an outpatient, eating well and more active. The vet has given us prescription low fat food for her as well. My vet is now saying they would like to send the cat for an ultrasound to be sure it's pancreatitis. This would mean my cat being put under and a bill of £350 on top of the £430 we've already paid. I don't want to put a price on my cat's health but this is a lot of money and I want to know if an ultrasound is really necessary?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now getting as much information about what we are treating in a patient is always ideal. Still, if your lass is responding well to treatment, then you can choose to hold off on the ultrasound at this stage. Your vet is likely keen for her to have one to confirm it is a pancreatitis but also make sure there are no other related issues (ie pancreatic abscesses, tumors, or compression of the pancreas due to enlargement of surrounding organs). Of course, if these were all lurking, we'd expect her not to be responding as well as she is. Therefore, since she is doing very well on medical treatment, this isn't absolutely necessary at this stage. But if she didn't settle completely or had a relapse in the future, a scan would be ideal to make sure there is nothing else complicating her situation. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What's the long term prognosis for this condition?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,The prognosis is quite good for pancreatitis but cats that have had a flare up can be prone to recurrence (so we often keep them on low fat diets afterwards). Though for those other factors I noted, the prognosis would be more guarded depending on which was present and how invasive it is.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )