Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat was struggling to wee and "marking" in places other

My cat was struggling to wee and "marking" in places other than the litter box, this came to a head on Sunday.
I have changed her diet from exclusively dry biscuits (James Wellbeloved) soaked in water to a raw diet. She is weeing more, and has now passed a number of small red crystals. Is this a sign of improvement or a symptom of a greater problem.
She has seen the vet before due to blood in urine, and was prescribed an anti-biotic and painkiller (in Jan 2016). There has been no blood in her urine recently, but as mentioned she was struggling to wee and only passing a tiny amount.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Most likely your cat has a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). These signs of many trips to the litter box with little coming out and urinating in odd places are very typical for this. This infection in females and males makes them feel like they have to go all the time even if they have no urine in their bladder. This will require antibiotics. For now, go to the pet store and purchase a product called Methigel. Give your cat a dose of this on her nose every 4 hrs. This is a urinary acidifier that causes the urine to be in an acid state so the bacteria cannot grow. This will not cure this but will prevent further bacterial growth until you can get her to your vet.Take your cat to your vet as soon as possible. Failure to treat this especially in males, can cause crystals that could block the urinary tract and cause a life threatening condition. Since your cat is a female, this only causes pain which can be resolved with the antibiotics. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it might be the UTI again. I am just trying to gauage the urgency of the situation (whether to get her in as an emergency today or a regular appointment tomorrow), is the passing of the red crystals a sign that changing her diet has help increase the output of urine, and the situation is improving. Like when humans get a UTI increasing fluids, helps flush out the uti?
Good for you.....Yes, more fluids will help flush out the contaminated urine and the food change will help but in most cases, even with the Methigel on board, antibiotics are required to resolve this for your gal. This is not an emergency but it is very painful for your gal so the sooner you can get this resolved for her, the more comfortable she will be.
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool, thanks I will take her this afternoon. Many thanks for your help and I will give you an excellent rating :)Best wishes, Sarah
Good for you, Sarah!! You are doing great for your sweet gal!! Thank you so much, Sarah, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your gal feels better soon! Have a wonderful day!