Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat having diarea week with a bit. on sunday

hello. my cat having diarea for one week with a bit. on sunday we been to vet they said its colitis. im giving him just boil chicken breast but diarea still no finishing. the stool is mucky with a bit of blood and his doing everywhere no going to litter box. what to do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How old is your cat?How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?Did they dispense any other treatment?Did they test her feces for infectious agents?When was she last wormed?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its just little bit of blood you can see like pink not proper. they give in vets two injections one like steroids another like antibiotics. last time wormed two weeks ago with drops in fur from pet shop. cat never going outside its inside cat, 3 years old. they no done any feces test just check manualy stomack and said its colitis.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they give two tablets of prendisolone for two days but on tueaday in eveneing when i give him , his no swallow just start salive come from mouth wit old medisets
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,Now it will just take me a few minutes to compose my reply about your lad.Speak to you again shortly,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry all medisets
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,Based on his signs and lack of response to the current treatment, we’d be concerned that we may have more then an inflammatory colitis present. In fact, if there has only been scant blood, we'd have to also consider a possible bacterial induced colitis, whipworms, protozoal infections (ie Coccidia, Giardia, etc) and in some cases we can see this secondarily to dietary or stress induced sensitivities. Less common issues with his signs would be anal gland disease or rectal polyps/growths. And since you noted it was just a bit of pink, I’d also be wary of that being a secondary issue and instead having an ongoing non-hemorrhagic protozoal (ie especially Tritrichomonas) or bacterial infection here. Now its good that you have wormed him but we’d want to make sure the treatment used covers for whipworms. Otherwise, I would note we could use Panacur as well since it is a wormer that also treats some our protozoal concerns. As well, your feeding a light diet is great but if this isnt’ settling, we may want to consider an alternative to make sure he isn’t sensitive to chicken. Examples of this would be boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients). Otherwise, if this has been going on a wee while, we could use Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity as they will be more balanced but easy to digest. With all of these, we’d want to offer small frequent meals to address any GI upset and soothe an inflamed GI. If he settles with this diet change, you can change him back to his normal food but do wean him back slowly to avoid relapse.Finally, I would note that since there is likely an imbalance in the gut's good bacteria and overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria can trigger bacterial colitis, it can be of benefit to support his good GI bacteria. To do so, there are a range of cat probiotics (ie Fortiflora) on the market. Though since it sounds like these stools are very runny, I would also suggest a cat safe anti-diarrheal like Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is OTC at most pharmacies but do avoid Imodium or Pepto Bismol (as these are not cat friendly). Alternatively, you can consider using a probiotic/kaolin combination product like Fast Balance, Pro-pectalin or Protexin Prokolin to use for Mitten. Just to note, these are all OTC at vets, some pet stores, and even Amazon.Overall, his lack of treatment response tells us that we aren’t getting to the root cause of his signs. Therefore, we’d be best to use the above to slow his diarrhea but would want to consider having a stool sample tested. That way we can have this checked for common parasitic, protozoal,and bacterial causes for his diarrhea. Depending on which agent is present, your vet can dispense treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoals, etc) to treat this effectively and get this settled for him.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am taking tomorrow him to vets what shall i need to ask them ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,If he is going in tomorrow, you would want to take a stool sample in to have it tested. In the meantime, you'll want them to dispense a cat safe anti-diarrheal treatment +/- probiotics. Since the chicken isn't helping, they should be able to give you a balanced easily digestible diet to feed. And based on the stool test, they can send home proper treatment for their findings to clear this for him. And if we can use the above to firm his stools and clear the cause, he should go back to using the box normally. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. i was very worried about him. cos hi is very lovely russian blue cat.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I can understand that this persisting diarrhea can be quite worrying. Still, by testing the stool, we can identify what is there and make sure we treat it effectively for him.Take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help:)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
You are very welcome. :)Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. ***Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.