Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 16 year old cat has ear polyps, and is now unsteady on

Customer Question

Hi my 16 year old cat has ear polyps, and is now unsteady on her feet
Done the ear drops, now on steroids and antibiotic, but can't keep that up too long as told it will damage her organs
Apart from this she is very health
Should I go for operation or send her to cat heaven ???
It breaks my heart want to make the right decision got the old gal ūüė•
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. With the understanding that every day is a gift when a cat is 16 years old, I need to review all of her most current diagnostics before I can make that decision. For example, there's every reason to believe that renal insufficiency exists at this time; I need to know just how insufficient Geri's kidneys are. I can't OK such an invasive and stressful surgery if her life expectancy is just a few months. Can you upload a copy of Geri's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't had any tests, and only had 2 steroid jabs to date,So believe her current renal state is ok, showing no symptoms of renal issues
Thank you for the additional information. It would prudent to have a basic senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests performed so you can make an informed and such an important decision.