Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat seems to have dandruff and very dry coat. She is also

My cat seems to have dandruff and very dry coat. She is also loosing a lot of hair.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if Polo is developing dandruff, losing hair, and has an overall lacklustre coat; we need to tread with care. These are often signs that the body is either not getting enough essentially fatty acids (EFAs) or is stealing nutrition form the skin and coat for more important organs. So, if she has any other signs (ie weight loss, appetite loss, diarrhea, severe skin irritation), we'd want to plan to have a full check up done at her vets.Otherwise, if we just have a situation where she isn't getting enough nutrition to support her skin and coat; then we can supplement those. We will want her on a good quality balanced diet. Furthermore, we can support those EFA's directly. Just to note, EFA’s are the fats that are part of skin cells composition and play a role in their health and coat health. So, there use will be of direct benefit. A general recommendation for dietary supplementation with essential fatty acids is based on supplying 1.5-2.5 ml fish oil for a 4kg cat. Alternatively, you can offer a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. If she doesn't like fish, then you can use an OTC EFA therapies (ie Viacutin, Yumega, etc) which can be bought at most vets, pet stores, and even online. All will help support her skin/coat and should address these changes you have seen within a few weeks.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I use a tin of tuna or salmon. My other cat clio seems to be ok. They are house cats and don't go out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,If we are only seeing one cat affected, then we do need to monitor Polo for those other signs I noted. Otherwise, you can try canned salmon (as long as its not in brine or oil) but tuna doesn't tend to have the same EFA levels we'd want here.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )