Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a ragdoll cat, I've had him from just before Christmas

Customer Question

I have a ragdoll cat, I've had him from just before Christmas and he is about 6 months old now. Ever since I have got his he has had loose stools. I was told he may have loose stools by the breeders when I got him sue to stress of moving, but he settled pretty quick, but his stools have constantly remained loose or cow ***** *****ke. I have changed his food around trying a few different ones (he will not eat wet food) and the poo is just more and more foul smelling. He seems find tho, has a good appetite, is playful and seems normal and has gained weight well.
Any ideas? i'm not very wealthy and lost my job after I got him so treating him with vets could be a problem.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Dimitri. I'm going to play devil's advocate. I believe that the breeder was disingenuous when telling you that Dimitri may have loose stools due to the stress of moving. Such persistent diarrhea at Dimitri's age is usually due to intestinal parasitism and the breeder is likely to have been battling parasites in his/her cattery. I understand your financial constraints. You can purchase fenbendazole (Panacur) over the counter in pet/agricultural merchant stores. This drug is a broad spectrum wormer which effectively addresses the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. I would dose it daily for 3 consecutive days. You can ignore the proviso "for dog's only" on the label. We dose cats regularly with fenbendazole at the same dose as for dogs.There are three parasites that you won't be able to address without a vet's involvement, however. Coccidia, Cryptosporidium, and Tritrichomonas are relatively common GI parasites wherever cats congregate and each requires a prescription drug in order to treat them effectively. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I have purchased what you said and begun treatment. Will let you know.
Sounds good. I'll watch for your next post. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After a few days dimitri's poo returned to cow patty and foul smelling. What do I do? I followed all of the instructions
As mentioned above, coccidia, Cryptosporidium, and Tritrichomonas still need to be considered. These need to be identified with a fecal ova and parasite exam and PCR (DNA-based) testing performed by Dimitri's vet.