Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat has continual runny poo, she often dribbles stuff in

my cat has continual runny poo, she often dribbles stuff in her sleep. Otherwise she seems fine. She is about six to eight years. I've tried changing her food but no difference.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Sophie and her loose stools.I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me the following:Is Sophie a strictly indoor cat?Do you have other cats as well?Have you tried any medications for this problem? If so, what?Is Sophie able to maintain a healthy body weight in spite of this, or is she skinny?I'll look forward to your reply and will respond as quickly as possible.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is an indoor and an outdoor cat . Only cat though cats and kittens next door. They enter my garden but she doesn't socialize. She enjoys her food and maintains good bodyweight. I haven't dared give her anything for the problem. In january I gave her a worm pill and the problem seems to have started then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is both indoor and outdoor. An only cat though neigbour has cats and kittens. They enter my garden but she doesn't socialize. She enjoys her food and maintains weight. Havent given her anything yet. I gave her a worm pill in early january and this problem seemed to start about then.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Oh, no. How frustrating that this seemed to start after giving her a worm pill. As hard as it can be to believe, that was most likely coincidental. I want you to know that this type of problem is not terribly uncommon; you're not alone. Unfortunately, most of the things that cause this type of diarrhea aren't things you can solve on your own. Even with veterinary help it's likely you'll have to try a few different things before finding the right solution for her. That's because so many different things can cause the problem.Common causes include:protozoal infectionsbacterial imbalances (abnormal gut flora)dietary intolerance/food allergymetabolic diseases (like liver and pancreatic disease)and inflammatory diseases (Irritable bowel/inflammatory bowel disease)These syndromes can all produce liquid diarrhea that just leaks out in a cat who seems otherwise healthy. Your vet can do the diagnostic tests to determine what's causing Sophie's problem, then prescribe the appropriate treatment. Some conditions, like food allergy and inflammatory bowel disease) require lifelong therapy. The degree of diagnostic testing varies a lot, too. In some cases it's normal to simply *guess* at what treatment is most likely to work and try that first. In other cases you have to go so far as to do intestinal endoscopy and collect biopsies. Those are the really complicated cases. Is there any other information I can help you with today. I didn't see where you specifically asked a question, so I want to be sure I've given you the answer you're looking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
knowing how traumatic a trip to the vet will be I was sort of hoping you'd say 'try giving her/ doing this' No such luck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
knowing how traumatic a trip to the vet will be I was hoping you could suggest something.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Rest assured I know how upsetting it can be for a cat to make a trip to the vet. I understand and have the same situation with my own cat. With that in mind, a trip to the vet is still most likely to be the most efficient way to get to an answer and begin the appropriate treatment. With some of my most sensitive feline patients, I offer to do either a housecall or start with checking a stool sample first. At least it's never stressful to take a stool sample to the vet. ;-)In regards ***** ***** you could try at home, there are two products that are worthwhile, but I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK without a prescription.(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
One of them is called Albon in the US. It's available here as a thick, sticky, sweet liquid, but by prescription only. Here's the information on it...http://www.drugs.com/vet/albon-tablets.html
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The other is called Tylan in the US. It's actually marketed as a feed additive for poultry, but a tiny pinch added to the food of a cat every morning and evening can control a lot of different types of diarrhea. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10935&ref=6135&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-B-6135&t=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5ti3BRD89aDFnb3SxPcBEiQAssnp0vKllsXON6Ndv4QHxAfLZNuFCbERQ8Yn-VlMqvcHFAQaAvSz8P8HAQ
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
From a dietary standpoint, it would be worthwhile to try a GI diet specifically made for cats with intestinal issues. It's important to remember, however, that it takes TWO MONTHS before you can decide if a particular food trial isn't working. Diets I'd suggest include any of the veterinary intestinal diets like Purina EN, Hill's ID, Royal Canin's GI. A hydrolyzed diet like Hills ZD may also be helpful. Without diagnostic testing, there's lots of guesswork... so there are a lot of choices. What works for each cat is different.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I also wanted to add the dosing information for Albon in case it's available without a prescription in the UK...https://www.zoetisus.com/products/cats/albon.aspx
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with today? I'm sorry she's having such a tough problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant expect the local chemist will stock them so I guess a trip to the vet initially without her is in line. (It doesnt seem to worry her....I'm the one running round cleaning up messes from carpets, sofas, MY BED!) Thanks anyway
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'll hope you both get the relief you need in short order. Thank you for using our website.