Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We have two 7 month old female kittens who have had, to date,

We have two 7 month old female kittens who have had, to date, 5 full seasons. We hope to breed from them. One kitten is particularly affected, calling all the time, refusing to eat and generally very agitated. The other was not so affected during her first few seasons but is becoming more and more anxious now - but she continues to eat. They both drink. They are both showing aggressive sexual tendencies towards each both and trying to mount. We have been advised by experienced breeders to mate at their next season to avert the possibility of pyometra but we have serious concerns about their young age.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Thanks for your questions about Aurora and Charlie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I did some research with cat reproductive specialists on Veterinary Information Network. It is recommended to wait until a queen is 10 to 12 months before breeding her. However, these multiple heats do put them at risk for problems like pyometra. I myself recently saw an Oriental Shorthair who had been in heat several times, did get a pyometra, and had to be spayed before she was a year old and she never got to be bred at all. We tried to treat the pyometra with medication, but that is not always successful and did not work with her. There are drugs that may help stop their going into season for awhile, but they can cause problems like pyometra as well and I would avoid using them in young cats. I hate to see these kittens be bred so young, but I am afraid if they keep going into season there is risk. In the wild, cats are in heat only a few days and get pregnant. To have repeated seasons is not good for them. You are also up against the time of year; it is spring and the days are getting longer and that is when cats are most likely to keep going into season until they get pregnant, so they can have their kittens when the weather and hunting is good. If you are determined to breed them and not to spay them, I would bred them soon. Let me know if I can research or answer anything else for you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi RebeccaThank you for your reply, you have confirmed what we, regretfully, had decided upon and that is to breed them at their next season. By the time they are 10 months old they will probably have had another 3 seasons. They are very beautiful kittens and we only want to do what is best for them, they came from America in December and have given us a great deal of pleasure in the short time we have had them. Is there anything else we can do to prepare them to have kittens other than getting the booster which we will obviously do? We had their pelvis's checked at 5 months and there seemed to be no problems there.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
It sounds like you are doing everything right! Vaccinate before breeding, good quality food, socializing them, and enjoy them. Let me know if I can answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. Please let me know how they are doing.
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the great rating.