Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is approximately 8 years old and always appears in good

Customer Question

My cat is approximately 8 years old and always appears in good health. On Saturday (26th) his normal "meow" suddenly changed to a growling like sound which it has never done before. Feeling his throat there seems to be a hard lump to one side. He eats and drinks normally
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you think he sounds hoarse or is he growling?Any coughing, sneezing, or retching?Does Micky seem sore anywhere?Is the lump just under the jaw? Or is in down towards the middle of his neck?Any weight loss?Could he be eating, drinking, or passing more urine as of late?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He does not sound hoarse. He is not growling
No coughing, sneezing or retching
I have felt his throat and he does not seem irritated at all
Down towards the middle of the neck
No weight loss
Eating, drinking and passing of urine is normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you,Now I have to note that there are a number of issues that can cause changes in the meow in cats. Most commonly we will see this with transient tracheitis (viral or bacterial). Though if he doesn't sound hoarse and since he is older, we'd also have to be wary of the change being triggered by allergic airway disease, inflammation or damage to the larynx, an upper airway polyp or tumor. As well, while I am glad to hear that he has none of those other signs I asked about, seeing a lump in the middle of the neck raises concerns of possibly related thyroid growth. Most of these in older cats will tend to be functional and cause hyperthyroid signs; but we could see non-functional growths or cysts in this region as well. Though I would note that any of these could grow large enough to compress the throat and cause the voice changes we are hearing here.With this all in mind, I would tread with care for Micky. It would be ideal to have him seen by his vet at this stage. If he is due a booster soon, do consider moving that appointment up. That way his vet can assess both his upper and lower airway. As well, they can sample this neck lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst would be suspect and it could be drained or removed. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.Overall, we do have a few concerns for Micky’s signs. Therefore, while its good he doesn’t have any of those other signs, we do still need to be careful here. Therefore, we’d want to have his airway and this lump assessed at this stage. That way if we do have something compressing the airway or a sinister growth, we can get it removed urgently and help him get back to normal for you.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)