Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My 16 year old tabby cat is getting thinner and thinner She

My 16 year old tabby cat is getting thinner and thinner
She doesn't appear to have any lumps nor does she appear to be in pain
A trip to the vet with her is a last resort -she gets stressed beyond measure
Is there any high cal supplements I can give her?
Kath
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I can absolutely understand how a trip to the vet is not the most favorite thing for a cat to endure. I'm going to hopefully help convince you though that any stress that this brings, it is absolutely worth it as there most likely is something going on here that needs to be addressed / treated by them. You could give her higher calorie foods to help increase her calorie intake, but the underlying problem isn't being addressed. In all reality, just increasing calorie intake won't help her overall health. With a girl her age, the most common things that can happen are hyperthyroidism, diabetes, and chronic renal insufficiency. These things can be screened for easily with blood work and urine evaluation. The hyperthyroidism can be treated with a specific diet or surgery or oral medications. The diabetes can be treated with insulin. The chronic renal insufficiency can be managed with a specific diet. Overall, I know it is not the least stressful thing to take a girl like her to the vet. But, in this situation, that little stress will hopefully allow her issue to be identified and then her overall health improved so she can be with you the longest and best time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice
You have convinced me she needs the visit
Will book her in tomorrow
Kath
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad I could help give a "nudge" in the direction of getting her in. Here are a couple links on the hyperthyroidism, chronic renal disease and diabetes that I like owners to have. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=1197&SourceID=http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=631http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=572I'm hoping for the best for this older girl Kath!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry
Pressed by mistakeK
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
No problem! I again am hoping for the best for her!