Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

How will I know when my cat is ready to give birth?

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Barbara. A response I just sent seems to have vanished, so I will initiate another chat.
Please excuse me if this is redundant on your screen!
The normal gestation period is 63 days or 9 weeks. When a cat is ready to give birth she will have created a spot (nested) and will be actively laboring. Has she been pregnant for about 9 weeks? Has she nested? Does she have any labor contractions of her abdominal muscles?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has created a nest, i cant see any contractions, she is very restless and you can see the babies moving around
As of this AM, sounded like everything was very normal. I'm sorry that I wasn't available all day, and hope that everything is still going normally. Cats often do choose to queen in the middle of the night. . .perhaps tonight?!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning she has gone off her food and is just laying but still very vocal but doesn't seem to want as much attention
Do you still see the kittens moving?
Yesterday was she still eating normally? Today do you see any abdominal contractions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can see the kittens moving, can't see any abdominal contractions but she is very restless
Is she still eating? Is there any vomiting? Restlessness could be that she is getting very close to queening or it could indicate that she is ill with something and restless because of that. If she is eating, urinating and defecating normally then she is just a very normal pregnant cat. One thing else to check is the color of her gums. They should be moist and pink, and the color should return in 2 seconds or less when you push on them. So questions that I have: Is she eating, urinating, and defecating normally? What is the color of her gums?Thanks!