Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

OUR BELOVED 16 YEAR OLD CAT GIVEING GREVE SLEEPING AT NIGHT

Customer Question

OUR BELOVED 16 YEAR OLD CAT GIVEING GREVE SLEEPING AT NIGHT THESE LAST THREE WEEKS SHE WONT LET US SLEEP SHE MOEWS AND JUMP ON THE BED ONE OF US GOT TO GET UP AND GO DOWNSTRAIS AND SLEEP ON THE SOFA AND THAN SHE GOES TO SLEEP AS SOON AS WE MOVE SHE STARTS AGAIN. SHE IS IN NO PAIN I CHECK HER SHE EATS WELL AND GOT LOVELY FUR SHE HAS NEVER BEEN ON THE ROAD ONLY IN THE GARDEN WITH ONE OF US . AND IF WE TAKE HER TO THE VET SHE GOES MAD BITES US AND THEY WONT TOUCH HER IF SHE IS NOT SEDATED. WE ARE 73YRS OLD AND WE LOVE OUR CAT WHAT DO YOU THINK I CAN DO FOR HER TO HELP HER CLAM DOWN
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your cat Fluffy is yowling but she's certainly gotten your attention hasn't she?Cats that yowl are trying to tell us something, unfortunately many problems can cause yelling so it takes some detective work to figure out exactly what the problem (or problems) is (are). Hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid gland is usually caused by a thyroid gland tumor. It can put cats on edge as they are overstimulated by high hormone levels and can make them hungrier as well as it causes a ramped up metabolism where they burn more calories. Both of these things can lead to yowling. This can be diagnosed with a blood test. A sore tooth, gum infections or a mass on the tongue or tonsils can lead to mouth pain, which she feels more when things are quiet and she isn't distracted at night, and could be the cause of her yelling. She may need sedation by her veterinarian to fully examine her teeth, tonsils and tongue and diagnose these conditions but it won't hurt for you to take a look if she will let you. Early senility or dementia often causes cats to vocalize more. They are literally yelling because they are lost and confused and are calling for help. They seek their owners as a comfort mechanism. This is usually a diagnosis of exclusion meaning that physically everything looks and tests out normal but they are still vocalizing. Drugs such as Anipryl to improve cognitive function can help with this condition. Sometimes we also use anti-anxiety drugs to help with anxiety related vocalization. You can use calming sprays or diffusors containing Feliway (a synthetic version of a calming pheromone), or a homeopathic drop added to her food or water called Rescue Remedy, or a supplement called Zylkene. When animals age they may have trouble falling and staying asleep, and they can get their body clock off such that they sleep more deeply during the day. It may help to give Melatonin. This is a naturally found hormone in animals and people that helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle and is involved in seasonal shedding. It can help them relax and sleep, and in cases that have abnormal shedding patterns related to seasonal light changes or abnormal growth hormone fluctuations.The usual dose in cats is 2mg to 4mg per cat every 12 to 24 hours. Make sure to give a dose 2 hours before bedtime.Make sure to read the label and DO NOT use the fast dissolve tablets of Melatonin with xylitol as xylitol is toxic for cats. Loss of vision may also be contributing to her vocalization. Cats normally see much better than we do, so this might be difficult for you to pick up on during the day when there is lots of light. It would be worth using plug in night lights around the house to see if that helps her see and feel more secure at night. Although she may not like other cats that won't stop outdoor strays from hanging around the house, which may be stressful for her. I recommend using blinds so she cannot see them, and playing soft music or "white noise" to block the sounds of them. I would disrupt her daytime napping if it is for extended periods of deep sleep. Cats need more sleep than we do, and as she ages she needs even more, but encouraging most of her deep sleep at night would probably be best for everyone. In short though it sounds like your girl needs a physical examination and minimally some blood tests taken to look for reasons for her "talking". I know that will necessitate sedation but she isn't happy now and is trying to tell you so, and you need your sleep so it is worthwhile to have her seen.Please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****