Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has (we think) swallowed a small round metal bell from

My cat has (we think) swallowed a small round metal bell from a toy. It has no sharp edges and is roughly the size of a chickpea (6 to 8 mm diameter).
This was 7 days ago. The cat has been defecating perfectly normally for the last 7 days but has yesterday started to vomit (once) and today again (once).In the vomit is small amounts of fur and larger amounts of cat food.
His behaviour is as normal. Normal appetite, normal play behaviour, no lethargy, no increased aggressiveness. Just normal except for this onset of vomiting.
He is 8 months old and quite large (5kg / 11lbs)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on Felix's signs, we do have 2 concerns. First, it is quite possible that the bell has been unable to leave the stomach to pass into the smaller diametered intestines and is now causing an intermittent blockage of the stomach's outflow. Secondarily, its possible that after a week he has passed the bell and this is an unrelated stomach upset (possibly from something else he has eaten since or a brewing gut infection).With this in mind, the best option here would be to have his local vet see him for an xray. That way if the bell is in his gut, we will see that it is and where it is. And if it is still in the stomach, his vet should be able to use their endoscope to remove the bell via the throat and settle this for him. Of course, with his vomiting starting over the weekend this may be complicated if your vet isn't open today or tomorrow (though its worth double checking since many practices are now offering weekend normal non-emergency hours). If they are, they can do this for him now and we will have our answer and can approach this appropriately for Felix.Otherwise, since he has no discomfort, paling gums, profuse vomiting, and is passing stool normally; we can try supportive care to soothe his stomach with a view to having him seen on any empty stomach on Monday (so no food after dinner on Sunday night) for an xray to make sure that bell isn't still inside his stomach. In regards ***** ***** so, we can try to allay his nausea with an OTC antacid. In regards ***** ***** we can use for cats, we can try Calcium carbonate (60mg every 8 hours; this can be purchased at some larger pet stores as well as the chemist), or Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if he vomits that or doesn't settle, we may need a check with the vet for injectable anti-nausea treatment as well as an xray.Further to that, we can also consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free), or scrambled eggs. There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset if this is a brewing infection. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Overall, if the bell was able to pass into his intestines, if should have passed by now. Therefore, it either has done so and its a red herring relative to his current signs or it is stuck in the stomach. Therefore, we can use the above to try and settle his nausea while we keep a close eye on him. But if this lingers or he does develop any of those more worrying signs, then we'd want to have him checked +/- an xray taken to see if that bell is present and needs to be removed for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, excellent. He likes boiled chicken so I can give him that and I'll keep him off the food after dinner on Sunday and contact my vet Monday morning. They shut for the weekend about 3 hours ago.