Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I think my cat is having a problem with birthing, this is her

Customer Question

I think my cat is having a problem with birthing, this is her second but this not the same. She had one kitten at 11pm last night, she still seams pregnant (I thought she lost most of the weight after birthing) and there is what I think dried blood around the area. A few time she has seamed to go back into the area but after a while just starts lying around the house. And since last night has not shown any attention to new kitten. I know it's not due to our 14 week kitten because I have help keep her away when cat nests. I am very worried for both cat and kitten.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. The rule of thumb is that if Abigale were having problems delivering, she would be pushing NON STOP for more than an hour. It is a good sign that she had one kitten and she may be resting before delivering another. It is not unusual for cats to take a long time between kittens and since she is not paying attention to the first kitten, she is not feeling well and her body may still be getting ready for the next one. There is a chance that the other kitten or kittens may be mummified or dead and that may cause this lack of energy and not delivering the kitten....give Abigale a few more hours of peace while taking care of the kitten to see if she will deliver. There are times when there is uterine atony that does not give the force needed to deliver the kittens and then she will need help. Give Abigale a few more hours but if nothing happens, have the ER vet check her to be safe. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does make sense and thanks. But it has been 17 hours since first kitten was born? And if I need to take Abigale in not sure how much I can move her to get in to travel cage without hurting Her as she has never really liked travel.
Since Abigale is in a vulnerable state, travel may not be an issue...17 hrs may mean that she has a dead kitten that is not telling the hormones to release this or she has uterine atony so she is unable to ouch the kitten out. It seems that she needs help and the sooner the better....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do to help her "the sooner the better" if travel not issue
The only thing you can do is to call for a mobile vet if there is one in your area or take her to an ER vet just to be safe. There is nothing you can do at home without knowing what is causing this lethargy.
Thank you so much for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I really hope Abigale has her kittens soon and they are healthy! Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, we don't have a mobile vet but my vets is also a hospital and 24h emergancy. they asked me to try getting the kitten to feed on Abigale it might bring on contractions and to contact if doesn't seem to work, I had tried before but this time they appear to be feeding hoping that this will be ok but keeping close eye on both.
Excellent...good job! If the kitten is nursing, that will really help. Good luck!!