Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

How do i know how far gone my cat is?

how do i know how far gone my cat is?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
...by her symptoms and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and/or imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound. What are you seeing, please? How long has she been ill?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the babies are moving visibly she is very restless grooming herself lots and is very vocal and affectionate
Ah! You meant "far gone" as in how far along in her gestation she is! The average gestation length in cats is 65-66 days with a wide normal range. If you're seeing such fetal motility and restlessness, she should be delivering imminently. Thankfully, dystocia (difficult birth) is uncommon in cats (incidence 0.22%). A normal parturition can take greater than 24 hours; the median length is ~ 8 hours with a range of 4-42 hours. Make sure she has a nesting area and privacy at this time. I know that you want to comfort her but the more attention she receives from you, the less attention she'll spend with the matter at hand! Most of these cats will eat half of their normal amount the day prior to delivering and nothing on the big day. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since this afternoon she has become less affectionate, seems like she wants to be alone and isn't eating much, thank you very much X
The hour is approaching! Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.