Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 year old cat seems to be being sick after every meal.

My 8 year old cat seems to be being sick after every meal. He still seems fine in himself and keeps going to his bowl for another feed. Could Thisbe an infection or something more serious.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he strictly indoors? 3- So basically he is bringing back the food, correct? 4- Any other symptoms? 5- Does he ever vomit without food? 6- Is he on hairball medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been happening for 3 weeks periodically but more frequent this last 3 days. He is an outdoor cat. Yes bringing back food. He sometimes eats grass to make himself sick. He is not on hair ball medication.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. In cats a common cause is also hairballs. I am going to make some recommendation below, if that fails the next step would be a hands on examination with family veterinarian:1- Start him on hairball medication, give at label dose. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 2- Change his diet to a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. But, divide his meal to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day. Do this for the next few days then gradually wean him back into his regular diet. 3- Raise his eating bowl on to a small stool to force him to raise his head while he eats. 3- If he continues to regurgitate after doing the above follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter