Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Can mild contractions cause diarrhoea in a cat?

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Are you referring to contractions during labor? Or of the gut?What does her diarrhea look like?How old is she?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah during labour she is fine otherwise, she is very restless up until this morning stool has been normal but she went this morning and there was a lot of diarrhoea then she went straight into her nest and is just laying
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,In that case, it is not uncommon. In fact, we often see loose stools during labor since she will have increased contractions, will be bearing down to pass her kittens and also the kittens will be putting a lot of pressure on her gut. Therefore, if this is a one-off episode, we'd only want to monitor, keep her clean, and ensure there are no issues with her delivery. Though if we see this continue even after she has delivered all her kittens, we'd have to be wary of opportunistic infections. In that case, we'd want to make sure she is up to date on worming (Panacur is safe for her at this stage and while she is nursing), consider having a stool sample tested (in case she needs antibiotics), and consider using a safe anti-diarrhea treatment like OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. And all are safe for pregnant and nursing mums.Overall, this could certainly be related to the contractions and therefore we'd just monitor at this stage. If they are, we should see a return to normal stools after deliver. But if the diarrhea lingers, we'd need to tread with care and use the above approach to ensure we nip any diarrhea bugs in the bud to keep it from causing her or the kittens bother. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a little bit more last night, but today she is very anxious and looking around and hiding under the bed, her belly has dropped though instead of being at the side she is carrying underneath is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,That can be normal and she may be hiding if she is looking to nest. So, do use the above to soothe that loose stool if profuse; but do keep a close eye on her delivering these kittens.Take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do you think she is close, she seems agitated and uncomfortable?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,It does sound like she is. So, I would want her to be closely monitor at this point.Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )