Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat is giving birth. She has chosen a random box and is

Customer Question

My cat is giving birth. She has chosen a random box and is right at the back curled up. I can see one kitten born. Haven't been able to see any placentas or further kittens. Don't want to touch or mover her! Need advice on what to do if anything!! Please Help?!
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I leave her and check in the morning??
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are worried about Ginji and her kittens. What you need to, or should, do for her will really vary upon her personality, how close she is to you, and whether she seems to be having trouble with her labor and delivery of her kittens. If she is usually a very independent cat, and has chosen a hidden place to give birth I would encourage you to give her space. You can check in on her every couple of hours, make sure she has a source of excellent nutrition (dry and canned kitten food), water and a close, private litter box so she doesn't have to leave her kittens if she doesn't want to.Most cats do fine delivering kittens all on their own, and the last thing you want to do is make her nervous such that she hides away and you cannot check on her and her young.Do you know how many kittens she has to deliver?A normal litter can range from 3-5 kittens, some have more, some have less.There shouldn't be more that an hour between kittens if she is in active labor, and if you see any fetal membranes or a body part protruding the kitten should be delivered within 30 minutes, if not that signifies trouble. The problem can be a kitten that is too large to pass through the pelvic canal, improper presentation of the kitten or uterine inertia (poor muscle tone and contractions).If she gets nervous her body can stop active labor and resume it as much as 24 hours later and still be within normal limits. As long as she isn't actively pushing and seems relaxed and is eating drinking try not to worry.If she is close to someone in your family she may accept help, but if not then don't push your help on her if it is upsetting her.If she does seem to want/need help she may need help getting the kitten out of the fetal membranes. You can also help by tying off the umbilical cords with clean thread about a 1 inch from the body wall.There should be a placenta delivered with each kitten. Some cats will want to eat the placentas but I recommend removing them so they do not lead to stomach upset if your doing so doesn't upset her.When she is done delivering all the kittens expect her to expel some blood, fluids and the remaining tissues from the kitten's placentas. After that if it isn't too upsetting for her remove any soiled bedding and give her fresh bedding, such as old clean towels or blanket pieces, or shredded newspaper pieces. She may or may not want to eat and drink after delivery. Have fresh food and water ready for her as she needs fluids and calories with all the work she has done. Some cats however are too nervous or busy with their kittens and will wait to eat and drink until later. Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your queen and her kittens. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****