Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Cat not being able to urinate although no blockage

cat not being able to urinate although no blockage
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. When he was seen by your veterinarian, was a urinalysis done? If he is not blocked, the most common reason for him to strain but not pass urine is "cystitis", inflammation in his bladder. This can be caused by a bladder infection, and may require antibiotics to treat, or from crystals in his urine, which may require a diet change to stop the crystals from forming, or bladder stones, which can sometimes require surgery but can sometimes respond to special stone dissolving diets. If a urinalysis was not done, that would be my first step if he were my own cat. If one was done, can you post the results here for me to see? I always check the anal glands for a blockage or infection when a cat is spraying or straining. Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is your cat doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating.