Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat had her right eye removed 3 weeks ago. She is still

Hi, my cat had her right eye removed 3 weeks ago. She is still wearing a protective cone as the eye is still discharging, and the two times we removed it she immediately scratched it.
We have taken her back to the vet twice and each time they say it is the gel and packing In the eye socket., it is not infected. She is one very depressed cat now, and skulks about. She is eating well, but I am quite concerned that it is taking so long to heal. The sutures are dissolvable, one working its way out which I have managed to cut.
What would you suggest I do? Each time we take her to the vet it is£30 and we are up to just under £1,000.....
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that you're having this trouble with your kitty. What is her name? For what purpose was her eye removed? Depending on the reason her eye was removed, the answer may differ slightly. That is because there are some diseases that are just contained to the eye that would not affect incision healing, while there are other problems like cancer that can interfere with healing tremendously. If there was concern about cancer in that eye and that's why it was removed, a nonhealing incision makes me concerned that there may still be cancer left behind. If the eye was removed for some other reason, like trauma, then I'd have a different set of suspicions. When we do an enucleation (eye removal surgery), we also have to remove the third eye lid and the tear producing glands around the eyeball itself. In some cases if a small portion of third eyelid or tear gland was inadvertently left inside the eye socket, it can continue to create tears which would exit the incision site in the path of least resistance. These usually create a small pinpoint hole through which normal tears will intermittently drain from. For some pets this isn't bothersome at all, while for others it can create a moist dermatitis (inflammation of the skin) from the moisture of the tears. If I have a patient who has residual tear producing tissue and it's bothering them, I usually will go back in surgically and try to locate and remove the offending tissue. Other potential issues would be reaction to suture or infection. Infection typically can be identified by microscopic evaluation of the drainage. Suture reaction is a little more different to define without getting a biopsy sample of the area (meaning that she'd need her surgery site explored and re-closed). If she's gradually getting better, it's likely that your vet is going to suggest giving it more time. If you aren't entirely comfortable with how things are going, it's never wrong to seek a second opinion from another veterinarian in your area so that they can do a physical exam and make adjustments to her treatment plan if needed. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your response . It was due to her third eyelid becoming attached to the cornea and they were concerned it was going to rupture as it was ulcerated. She has chronic feline clamydia as well. The vet does not think it is infected but it does not look great.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi have you anything further to offer from my previous email
Hi there, I'm sorry - I was offline when you replied. Thanks for the extra information. I'm glad to hear that there was no suspicion of cancer. Checking a cytology of the drainage from the eye should help clear up the question on whether infection is present. There still is the possibility of a remainder of tear producing tissue within that socket that may need to be addressed surgically.What questions can I answer for you?~Dr. Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.