Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We changed our cats diet 3 weeks ago to better quality food-couldn't

we changed our cats diet 3 weeks ago to better quality food-couldn't be done slowly as she picked out the old food and ate that so we did it (as it turns out)too quickly. after 4 days of vomiting & diarrhea phoned vets for advice, told to persevere shouldn't change back now. after another week vomit had 4 tiny drops of blood - told to withold food for 24hrs. at vets next day told to introduce bland diet. cat would not eat this. after steroid injection told 2 days later told just to get her eating. 1 week later she still will not eat, is on a drip at vets and was syringe fed today. blood test showed raised white blood cells, low levels of sodium and potassium. diazepam being tried tonight but what if she will not eat. vet now saying blood result indicitive of lymphoma.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. How old is she, please? To answer you directly, she's already at the point of needing a feeding tube installed but this should only be considered if you're going to entertain chemotherapy for lymphoma with the idea that she'll begin to eat once again when the lymphoma goes into remission. Elevated white blood cells usually indicates inflammation but if abnormally high numbers of lymphocytes are present and causing that elevation, a lymphoblastic leukemia needs to be considered. Low levels of both sodium and potassium is likely to indicate starvation or loss of those electrolytes through vomitus and diarrhea. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 5 yrs old . Will try to get hold of test results but the higher white cells began with an n. How would food change cause lymphona she was not ill before that. Thanks
Neutrophilia, then, which can be physiological (due to stress), due to steroids or inflammation but not necessarily the inflammation assoicated with infection. A food change doesn't cause lymphoma. I need to see those test results to see why they were indicative of lymphoma. The complete blood count indicates lymphoma when abnormal lymphocytes are seen. I'll watch for your next post.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.