Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has what can only be described as medium too small

My cat has what can only be described as medium too small pink rash on his right and left mouth and large too small oozing bumps on his leg and between his toes. They do sometimes bleed.
We have tried antibiotics and not much change and given vitamin c, which did seem too help slightly. Unfortunately we hadn't done so regularly.
The start of this, about a month ago I did take him too a good vet but they only gave him a shot of steroids and said too use Hydrocortisone cream on mouth. Which I didn't as that is an external use chemical and would simply lick it off.
Please help.
Any ideas, as planning on taking him to a different vet tomorrow.
Guy.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand that you're going to another vet tomorrow but can I trouble you to upload close-up photos of these affected areas to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ A cytology (microscopic exam of the cells and bacteria or yeast (if any)) of the rash and bumps should direct the appropriate treatment for Junior. "Two small oozing bumps" is an unusual finding unless abscessation is present; hence, my wanting to see what you're you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you so much for your reply. I really would appreciate your help in helping Junior. Please find as attached the pictures of the right side of mouth and the most effected leg.Many ThanksGuy
Ouch. Those paw pads suggest a plasma cell pododermatitis - an inflammatory disease of the footpads. Although the exact pathogenesis is unknown, persistent hyergammaglobulinemia, marked plasma cell tissue infiltration, and a beneficial response to glucocorticoid (prednisolone, e.g.) therapy suggest an immune-mediated cause. It's characterized by asymptomatic swelling of multiple footpads which become soft and spongy. The metacarpal and metatarsal pads (the biggest pads highest up on the foot) are most commonly affected, but digital pads also may be involved as is demonstrated in the photo. Swollen footpads may ulcerate and bleed easily, resulting in pain and lameness. Occasionally concurrent plasmacytic dermatitis causes the changes you're seeing about the mouth, on the bridge of the nose, and inside the mouth. Confirmation is done by biopsy. The top differentials include eosinophilic granulomas, bacterial or fungal granulomas, neoplasia, autoimmune disorders, and mosquito bite hypersensitivity.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish, Guy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that. It's good to know what is going on. While I can suggest the biopsy to be done tomorrow. Is their anything that can be done to help, for the time been e.g. antibiotics, creams or maybe even paw been bandaged?RegardsGuy.
Nothing that won't immediately be licked off. Keep Junior comfortable on very soft surfaces. Cats really dislike having their paws bandaged. The vet might feel that it would be beneficial until medication kicks in (an immunosuppressive dose of a glucocorticosteroid, usually) but I tend not to bandage if I can avoid it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help.RegardsGuy.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.