Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 3 month old, 2kg Burmese kitten suddenly started to have

Customer Question

My 3 month old, 2kg Burmese kitten suddenly started to have mouth spasms and all day (what it looks like) tried to scratch his mouth and tongue. Took to the vet - local anaesthetic to look inside the mouth and X-ray to double check the rest, couldn’t find anything. They gave him some anti-inflammatory injection, hoping if there is anything deep in the mouth or throat, it will go away. They cut the front nails to stop him scratching his gums and inside his mouth. Unfortunately it’s getting worst with front legs getting in to spastic twitches together with the mouth. Hi is eating, playing and using the litter with no problem, although spasms are happening in the middle of all this. He is visibly exhausted and suffering from these spasms, now I think muscle related. Any idea what this can be and what I can do atm to ease his suffering?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can send a short video if you provide an Email address
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Max's behavior is worrisome for simple partial seizure (previously called petit mal) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, e.g.). Facial twitching is a common form of this type of seizure in cats and dogs. At such a young age both congenital (present at birth) brain defects and infections need to be considered. The FIP virus is a very important differential diagnosis; toxoplasmosis is also important but less commonly responsible. Worsening as you've describes suggests worsening of an encephalitis.Feel free to share our conversation with Max's vet who appears not to have considered seizure activity. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Nothing at all happened with him after sending my question on Saturday and all day yesterday, he was back to his happy, very active self (sleeping more than usual, maybe because of the anesthetic!?) but today he had to episodes already, halfway in his play. Is it possible to Email you a short video, this system does not download mp4 file somehow. Just two have a look at the "attack" he is having and if it is what you're saying before I go back to the Vet? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Managed to add the video in YouTube. Please see the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgpcbIhKl48
Thank you in advance
Thank you! Complex partial seizures as defined above for simple partial seizures plus a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities - are witnessed in the videos. Max's vet and a specialist neurologist to whom Max might be referred would very much like to see the videos too.