Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My Burmese cat tugs and pulls at her toe nails - quite strongly.

Customer Question

My Burmese cat tugs and pulls at her toe nails - quite strongly. Why does she do that and is it normal?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is speyed. She does not have biting insects between her toes. She has access to a scratching post,
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. This is an interesting question that you've asked although I'm I don't think the answer is the same for every cat. I've had a few cats in my life who've behaved this way and I've sometimes been at a loss to explain why. But, I wouldn't consider this behavior to be abnormal regardless of the underlying cause which might be:Possibly related to compulsive/obsessive disorder for some cats if it's been life long.Possibly discomfort/pain if only one foot and is relatively new behavior (especially in an older cat).Some cats prefer to chew their nails similar to humans to wear them down and remove the excess nail material rather than using scratching posts or similar objects (such as furniture). I always advise owners to trim the nails of these cats on a more regular basis (every 4-6 weeks if possible) which may help to decrease the behavior but if OCD, it may not make much of a difference. I hope this helps. Deb