Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat is a male short hair, we rescued him so are not sure

Customer Question

Hi my cat is a male short hair, we rescued him so are not sure of his exact age but at least 16years old in the last 12 months he has started getting very sore eyes sometimes green/yellow puss! We have had him at the vets 4 times and each time we have been told different info, tried injections, cream etc however the last time the said his eye lids were turning in at the bottom and his eye lashes were causing this, they said they can operate at a cost of £700 if all goes well but there is no guarentee this will work, I don't have that spare money to do this, we have been bathing them 2-3 times a week which I think helps and have some antibiotic cream but within a day or so they are bad again, my friend told me it could be herpes virus or different infection of the cornea, I am reluctant to take him back again as it is a costly do and I don't seem to get anywhere, when we bathe his eyes we can see now the little eyelashes that are causing this, is there any advice or different treatments you can suggest
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm so sorry to hear that Charlie has had such terrible difficulties with his eyes. I will do my best to help. Eye problems in cats are frequently initiated by the feline herpes virus. Cats are usually exposed to this virus when they are quite young. It's a life long infection that their immune system usually can keep latent for most of their lives. Occasionally when their immune system is compromised, they will have symptoms from a herpes flare up that include watery eyes and sneezing. During a flare up, they can get secondary bacterial infections that require antibiotic treatment. However, if the kitty's immune system isn't doing a good job of keeping the herpes in check, the symptoms won't resolve completely and the bacterial infections tend to come back. It sounds like this is how it may have started that way with Charlie. Unfortunately, it sounds like Charlie has now developed entropion - this is where the lids roll in onto themselves. Sometimes entropion can be what we call "spastic" meaning that it's caused by severe discomfort and squinting. With spastic entropion if the condition that was causing them to squint can be remedied, then the entropion can resolve. Howver, in my experience, once entropion develops it usually requires surgery to correct it. This is especially true if it has been going on for more than a few days. The irritation from the lashes rolling in causes further squinting, making it unlikely that the problem can be resolved without surgery.One thing that might be helpful for Charlie would include supplementation with the amino acid lysine, which can interrupt replication of the herpesvirus and decrease symptoms from the herpes virus. Some cats also will require treatment with an oral antiviral like famcyclovir or a topically applied antiviral medication for the eyes. If you're finding that the family veterinarian that you're seeing isn't making headway with the issue, then you could also seek the opinion of a veterinary ophthalmologist, who is a vet who has had specialized training in ophthalmology and would be better equipped to handle more complex eye problems like Charlie's.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)