Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Please can you help me

please can you help me
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I amDr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I can see that your poor lad was diagnosed with kidney failure and early stage cardiomyopathy; but it seems your history is cut off after you said they "drained 100". I assume it was fluid from the best or abdomen. Can you tell me more about your little one? What treatments were started? What questions you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
helloi dont know how much of my message came through to you?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I can see that your poor lad was diagnosed with kidney failure and early stage cardiomyopathy; but it seems your history is cut off after you said they "drained 100". I assume it was fluid from the best or abdomen. Can you tell me more about your little one? What treatments were started? What questions you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he deterioated rapidly on wed and was struggling to breathe. they drained his chest and today it was still clear but the results from the pleural fluid showed aberant cells. i have no idea what that means. does it mean he has cancer? they have given him pain relief, steroids and diuretics but they don't seem to know what is happening to him. he isnt eating and although he is usually very vocal and quite aggressive, he is frighteningly passive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no idea what an aberant cell is!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,I am still here but did have a wee bit to type. Now I am very worried about your lad.His signs do suggest a serious ongoing issue that certainly could be related to his heart struggling.In regards ***** ***** cells, they mean that they look reactive and abnormal. I have to be honest and warn you that they could be cancerous. But do note that in the chest, this is very tricky to diagnose. This is because the cells that line chest are very reactive and often can look cancerous but not be. Therefore, it is a concern but not a definitive unless your vet ultrasounds the chest and finds an actual tumor. And I would strongly advise having the chest scan since that will let us know what is there and let them confirm if the heart is in trouble. (And if they found the heart was normal afterall, then we'd have to be more wary of cancer. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has had daily heart scans and he has cardiomyopathy. what would you suggest i ask to try next? im frantic and desperate for help! i dont want to lose him! should they try antibiotics in case it is infection? there is no sign of a tumour although i do know that doesnt mean there isnt one hiding somewhere
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
PS - I did just want to get that message through to you, but also want to note that if he is breathing comfortably (he may need to be on oxygen if he isn't), then his vet can use anti-nausea medication and an appetite stimulant to help get him eating for us. As well, if he can at least drink or you can syringe feed him, we could also water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in. Please take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his breathing is 40 to 45 but he doesnt seem to be in any kind of breathing distress as he was the other day. do you, in your experienced opinion, think i will lose him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I appreciate you are very stressed, but further to supportive care for feeding, we'd not necessarily add in an antibiotic since there is no indication of infection. Otherwise, you could discuss using other heart medications (ie ACE inhibitor, pimobendan, etc) along with the diuretics to try to stop the heart disease leading to secondary leakage of fluid into the chest. Because if we can at least stop that, then we may have a chance here.In regards ***** ***** question, he sounds to be really struggling and his situation sounds very guarded. He may not improve but we would want to at least try to manage the heart disease since we don't have an absolute cancer diagnosis. (If we did, then it would be another story). So, do speak to them about managing the heart condition to see if we can stop the fluid build up. If we can, his breathing should improve and we can monitor the abnormal cell situation. Again it could just be the cells in the chest lining reacting to the fluid build up. Though I do have to warn that if he doesnt' respond as they treat, then we would have to consider letting him go to avoid any suffering.Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know. i am devastated. this time last week, i had, what i thought, was a healthy cat.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I know. This is often the situation we see with our kitty patients. This is because they often hide the early stage signs from us and we then find ourselves facing an advanced issue with a very poorly kitty. Still, it sounds like you are being proactive here and doing a lot for him. So, you are on the right track but we’d want to try those other options and supportive care we have discussed to try to reduce the fluid build up in the chest and give us a chance to get him breathing easier. Because again if we can get him stable, we can hopefully give him back some quality of life. And while you are right that there could be a cancer lurking, those cells being aberrant could just be a reaction to the heart issue and therefore we need to focus on that first to give him a fighting chance.Please take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
prayers please. i have a tin of AD ready to take with me tonight and some vitamin D drops. i will NEVER give up on him until there is nothing left for me to try. i will speak to my vet about ACE inhibitors and fingers crossed the cells are nothing sinister
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good, that sound like a good plan of action. Do try the a/d with him. Some cats like it warmed and if he can drink, then watering it down may help you.Best wishes for you both, my thoughts are with you,Dr. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its already been made with hot water and is in a vacuum flask ready to go when the vet rings me. i will feed it to him with my fingers if i have to. even if he has 2% chance of survival, i will fight for him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
That is all he can ask for and I know your lad is grateful for your love and care.Please take care,Dr. B