Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a cat who is straining to pass urine and is doing

Customer Question

Hi, I have a cat who is straining to pass urine and is doing little bits with blood in. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating, albeit less than normal, and has stopped drinking water whereas she normally drinks loads. I thought she was constipated yesterday but she passed a good stool and actually quite a big wee overnight but is returning to her litter box and around the house squatting and doing the little tiny bloody bits this morning. I think it has been brought on by stress as she is quite a nervous rescue cat (she was lost and I rescued her whilst volunteering for Cats Protection, we think she is about two years old). We have had three instances over the last few days of neighbourhood cats coming near and even into the house which has made her nervous and stare at the door. We are new in our town and she is not registered yet with a vets and they are shut as it is bank holiday. I am reluctant to take her as an emergency which will cause her more stress but not sure what to do - let her rest, continue to put extra water in her canned food (she usually as dry and wet daily) and let her recover? I would be grateful for some advice, thank you.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to say she is also grooming a lot near her genital area. I assume it is cystitis.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Minnie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. You are probably right about her having cystitis, which can be brought on by stress in cats. This could be "sterile cystitis", meaning no bacterial infection, or she could have crystals or stones in her urine, or it is possible it is an infection. The best thing to do is a urinalysis to check for crystals/stones/ infection. Until then, do encourage her to drink as much as possible. Offer water, broth and tuna juice, and you can add water to her canned food. The more she drinks, the more she will flush out her bladder. She is uncomfortable, but most pain medication for people is not safe in cats, particularly paracetamol. Getting pain medication from a veterinarian would be best. Supplements like cranberry juice or extract, and D-Mannose may be helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now; I just came online and saw your question. Let me know if this is helpful and how she is doing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Rebecca. I suppose what I need to know is whether this is an emergency, should I get her to a vets today or see how she is until the holiday is over tomorrow? She is lying on her blanket keeping nice and warm and calm at the moment. I am a bit reluctant to add more stress of a car journey and vet visit if you think it is OK to wait and see without doing her any harm?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for responding by the way, I was just starting to worry!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
You are welcome.If she is eating, and passing urine, she is uncomfortable but not an emergency. I don't think you will do harm by waiting a day. If it is just stress, it may be better by then. Let me know what else I can help with.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, she hasn't passed any urine for a few hours now and she's eating very little but then she doesn't normally eat much in the day anyway. She doesn't seem too distressed as long as I keep her quiet and in a warm room with me. I will keep my eye on her today then and come back to you later if I need any more help if that is OK? I shall then rate you after that - in case I need you on this specific thing again! Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She's not drinking anything either to make any urine so not surprising she's not going! I keep trying to give her some but she doesn't want it.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Try to encourage her to drink by offering broth or tuna juice or watered down baby food. The more she drinks the better she will feel.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks. I'll try that. Hopefully won't need you later but I will keep this open in case, thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
You are welcome. By the way, you can always get back to me here, even after rating.
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Rebecca, she has drunk some tuna water and then some water without being encouraged to, done a small wee and slept a lot. Less straining I hope now since this afternoon when she was still doing a little bloody straining around the house. She went outside the front door and ate some grass and dandelions so good for her! Anyway, just updating you an to thank you for your reassurance whilst the vets was closed! If she is still doing it tomorrow, I shall take her in for a check in case.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the update; glad to hear she is improved. Thanks for the good rating! Let me know how she is doing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Morning Rebecca,Update as promised: Minnie is doing it a lot less but still grooming a lot, doing a few slightly bloody wees around the house, one small normal wee in the night in her litter box. She is eating OK and has started drinking her water a bit more and eating grass which she does every day several times if she can - I've never known a cat eat so much grass or drink so much water before so it was odd to see her stop; that's how I knew she was poorly! She isn't weeing much still but then not drinking much yet either but I feel she is better in herself today and a bit more lively. I've decided to keep her in and not go to the vets for now as she seems to be improving, is that right do you think? Thank you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
If she were mine, I would still do a urinalysis to be sure she does not have irritating crystals, or an infection. I am glad to hear she is better, though.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks. There is no blood now but still wanting to go and not passing much.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
A urinalysis is the best way to find out what the problem is.