Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My female cat is 13 yrs old. She has been loosing weight

Customer Question

Hello! My female cat is 13 yrs old. She has been loosing weight (from 5 kilos to 4) over 6 months. Only last week she was diagnosed with chronical liver failure. The vet says that she cannot be cured (an age thing) and has up to 6 months to live. He prescribed denamarin as a supporting medicine. I am very keen on exploring all possibilities to keep my cat alive for as long as possible. Are there any other ways, maybe surgical, to deal with the chronical liver failure? Maybe other stronger medicin available? Thank you!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps, Alex, but to determine that you'll need to have Orlando's liver biopsied under ultrasound guidance in order to determine the cause of the chronic liver failure. Elevated liver enzymes (ALT, AP, GGT) tell me that there's liver damage and biliary stasis (sludging) and serum bile acid testing can tell me how well Orlando's liver is functioning, but without biopsy I'm left in the dark knowing why this occurred and how I can best help my patient. I understand that this is an invasive and stressful procedure for such an elderly cat and must be considered carefully. Can you upload a copy of Orlando's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Orlando's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I'll ask my vet for the test results on Monday and will upload for you to review.In the meantime, is there a liquid version of denamarin (or smth similar) as Orlando won't take tablets in any shape or form?
There are so many over the counter products containing either milk thistle, SAMe, or both (the constituents of Denamarin) I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a liquid. You might have to google the keywords "feline", "milk thistle", "silymarin" and "SAMe". Don't worry too much about this product. Before veterinarians recommend the use of these products they should ensure that owners understand (informed consent) that data on its efficacy are lacking.Thank you for your kind accept. I'll watch for your next post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, again! Please find attached the test results from my vet for your review. Apologies for the delay, only got those today.
Thank you! There are significant elevations in her liver enzymes and the serum bile acids blood test indicate that her liver isn't functioning well. She did have a needle aspirate of the liver performed but no pathology was seen and so we're left not knowing how best to treat her. Additional medical therapy might include a broad spectrum antibiotic and a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone in case the common cholangitis complex of cats is present. Please continue our conversation if you wish.