Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat developed left hind leg weakness last Saturday.This

my cat developed left hind leg weakness last Saturday.This has gradually got worse. We hav taken him to the vet where he was admitted due to urinary retention. He is currently catheterised, has had Clopidogrel and now steroids.
I am told that he could have MRI as an Orthopaedic opinion suggests disc problem.
Xrays and bloods unremarkable.
Vet seems to suggest that euthanasia is most likely option due to poor life quality and retention of urine
could he have CIDP
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
CIDP isn't recognized in cats but we do see myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) other than degenerative disk disease in cats. For example, the FIP and FeLV viruses can cause a spinal meningomyelitis and the FeLV virus can cause a lymphoma in the spinal cord. Spinal neoplasia other than lymphoma is another concern. Hence, the recommendation for MRI which would be helpful in distinguishing one etiology from the other. Unfortunately, this would be for academic reasons only as none of the aforementioned disorders are curable. Euthanasia, then, might well be a kindness.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.