Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My female cat Honey has had hard stools months.

My female cat Honey has had hard stools for several months. She will be 17yrs old in September and at her age she drinks a lot of water. Yesterday she had problems after she defecated - she was scraping her backside on the floor - her stools were solid. What can we give her to alleviate the problem. Barry
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, Barry. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. First, I have to note that if Honey does drink a lot, then we'd be wary that her hard stools could be related to an underlying health issue (ie liver disease, kidney disease, thyroid issues, diabetes, etc). Often these conditions upset the hydration balance and the gut will resorb more water from the feces leading to hard stools that are harder to pass. As well, at her age, there would also be a concern that arthritis could make passing stool more uncomfortable for her. And when that happens, they often hold off going as long as they can which in turn leads to harder stools that are harder to pass. So, these issues may need to be looked into to break this cycle of hard stools. Otherwise, there are some steps we can take to ease her passing these and help her be more regular. Further to making sure she always has water, we can start giving her a dose of cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) with every meal. This can be helpful in keeping things moving since it is a non-digestible GI lubricant. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. And this could facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.Similarly, we will use GI lubricants (ie Lactulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) mixed into wet food to address constipation. Usually we just need a few milliliters in a daily meal to see positive effects from this.Finally, to give that hard stool a push, we can also consider increasing her dietary fiber. To do so, you can mix in a spoon canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Benefibre into her diet daily. Just like people, these can keep fecal output regular. We tend to offer these in wet food to ease of them eating of it but also as another means of sneaking fluids into her (as canned food is 35% water). Overall, we can use the above to help Honey stay regular and avoid the signs you have seen with these hard stools. Though we do have to be aware that at her age this is likely a side effect of another issue that we may need to look into and address for her. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.