Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

There - my cat is very poorly but we don't know what

Hello there - my cat is very poorly but we don't know what is wrong with him. We have been to the emergency vets who gave him an X-ray which all came back clear. His temperature was normal as was his colour. He cannot walk or stand. His breathing is regular. He has been lethargic and unresponsive to voice for the last 12 hours. He is staring into space but his eyes are not flickering or rolling in his head. He is quite floppy. He has had a shot of painkiller, antibiotics and something for shock. My vet thinks it could possibly be a brain lesion. I understand that you cannot offer a diagnosis without examining him, but I am worried that his life is in danger. My vet said to expect him not to do much other than sleep today - I am keeping him warm and in a quiet room in a comfy bed. We are going back to have him examined again this afternoon. If he is picked up he meows in what sounds like pain. There are no external injuries. Do you think he will survive? Is there anything I can do to assist him, is it possible that he has suffered from a stroke or some other kind of neurological injury? He's 9 years old if that is of any relevance. Thank you for your time,
Maddy
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Maddy. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on all his signs (both not walking/standing and the reduced mental status), we'd be most concerned about issues targeting the brain. This certainly includes brain lesions --specifically, head trauma, inflammation, infection, bleeds, brain swellings, and even tumors. Though these signs also would fit with toxicity and systemic diseases that can affect brain function (ie liver and kidney disease).With all this in mind, I am very sorry to say that Satchmo has a very guarded prognosis. In regards ***** ***** can be done, it sounds like you are on the right track. Though if bloods haven't been tested, that would be something to consider for narrowing down our worries here. Otherwise, the situation is a bit difficult since narrowing down our lesions would require an MRI (often something they need to be referred to a vet school or a neurologist for). Though if there is any toxicity concern, you may want to speak to his vet about IV fluids to flush anything out. As well, you may want to have them check a blood pressure (another cause for sudden brain bleeds in older cats), and potentially try a steroid to reduce brain swelling if inflammation is suspect.Overall, I share your concern for Satchmo and this is a precarious position. The above could be added to his treatment protocol to try to pinpoint what is causing this and give him the best chance of helping him. Though if he doesn't start responding to those treatments, we'd concerned that he won't do so and that we'd need to consider letting him go. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. I am so sorry for taking so long to rate your reply and respond to you, but it has been a hectic and somewhat emotional week concerning Satchmo. He spent six days in the vets hooked up to an IV drip, receiving antibiotics and steroids. His body lost the ability to sustain hydration without the drip, he became anemic and his RBC and WBC count were both very low. He didn't eat for his entire stay there. Blood results revealed that his liver and kidneys were failing, so I made the heartbreaking decision to let him go. It wasn't fair to let him continue the way he was, slowly dying.I just wanted to thank you for your answer, and thought you might want an update on my boy.Thank you again,
Maddy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Dear Maddy, I am so sorry to hear that Satchmo deteriorated despite your vet's treatment. It sounds like you were doing all you could for him. And while it will be so heart breaking to let him go, it sounds like it was the kindest thing we could do if his organs were shutting down despite all your effort to help him.Please take care, my thoughts are with you,Dr. B.