Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We purchased a gorgeous male Toyger kitten of 7 months from

We purchased a gorgeous male Toyger kitten of 7 months from Germany with a view to breeding our 2 females with him. He has a large indoor/outdoor enclosure and because he has not starting spraying yet he is a allowed in the house and he is great fun. Unfortunately I live in an area that is affected by mosquitos, my two Border terriers are not bothered by them but I wondered if I should get some protection for him. I know that sprays and fly papers are toxic. What do you think?RegardsJill
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Your kitten sounds lovely. Is he bothered by the mosquitoes? Are you in an area where there is much heartworm? Cats are at a much lower risk for heartworm than dogs but they can get it, and it is carried by mosquitoes. There is heartworm preventative for cats. Here is a good article about mosquito control for pets. As it says, do not use DEET or products with pyrethrins on or around cats: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=572 I can't find any topical products to use on cats that is safe.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating.